Sunday, September 21, 2008

Supply and Demand

First off, scroll down and read Shooter's post. I hate to bump him so quickly, and he rightly starts out by directing everyone's attention to the Ryder Cup. There is nothing quite like it. I had never thought of it before, but I realized while listening to it on the radio today that I really just don't like individual sports. As much as I enjoy golf, it is missing that element of playing for something bigger than yourself (vote McCain), and the Ryder Cup injects that into a sport that really needs it. The whole weekend feels like that moment in Miracle when Mike Eruzzioni yells "I play for... the United States of America!" Well for one week every other year, so do FIGJAM, Justin Leonard, Stewart Cink, Jim Furyk, Boo Weekly, and Anthony Kim.

Back to hockey, there's a new development that just might make our dreams of a Czar Train line or McLaren/Hainsey pairing come true. Torrey Mitchell of the San Jose Sharks has gone down with a broken leg. TSN is saying he'll be out at least 8 weeks. I don't know if you've ever broken a bone before, but as I remember it, it takes a heck of a lot longer than that before you feel like playing professional hockey again. So the Sharks may just be in need of a stopgap at Center. They may even be in the market for somebody along the lines of Todd White. Now, with his cap hit, they'll have to offload at least 2 players to make sure they're under the limit. We here at the Chronicle have a couple of suggestions for them.

No comments: