Sunday, September 21, 2008

Jump On Board Folks


First off, many congratulations to the United States Ryder Cup team on their victory today. It is nice to know that we are better at golf than the Europeans. Not sure why that matters so much to me, but it does.

Now then, isn't it great that training camp is officially underway! I'm really starting to get pumped about the season. It's not going to be as bad as some say. For those of you who have not renewed your season tickets, I say what are you waiting on?!?!? Yes, we haven't been that good in the past. No, we don't have the ideal ownership. Yes, ticket prices went up.

But you know what... it's still hockey. The last time I checked there was nothing in my season ticket holder contract that assured me the Thrashers would be a winner. Spare me the argument that you want to get the most bang for your buck and only have tickets when a certain winning season is on the horizon. I understand the argument. Don't agree with it, but understand it.

I love watching hockey. I love watching NHL hockey in person. Anything above that is icing on the cake. If you haven't renewed yet because of ownership or poor management, that's your call. But before the puck drops on Oct 10th, I urge you to take one last minute to think about things. Is it really worth it to miss an entire season of something you really love just to prove a point? A point by the way, that ownership and everyone in the organization is very well aware of. Do you really think that the organization is trying to lose?

As in most things in life, take a deep breath. Realize that you love hockey, AND JUST GO AHEAD AND RENEW YOUR TICKETS!!!!! The arena is more fun with you there (well, most of you anyway!).

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

For The Blueland Chronicle, I'm Big Shooter.

4 comments:

Mortimer Peacock said...

...all this coming from a man whose man-crush on Sergio Garcia is second only to his man-crush on the Czar...

Mortimer Peacock said...

On the season ticket thing: I don't get the whole approaching-the-team-as-a-consumer thing. You're not paying for a "product" like a car or a coffee-maker; you're paying for an experience. And getting to see Ilya Kovalchuk once or twice, or three times, a week is a about ten billion times superior to watching American Idol. It's like getting to see your favorite band live every week.

Anonymous said...

It is a "product" and the experience and atmosphere is a major part, but the on ice part of the product is also quite important, that being said shame on anyone who loves hockey and lives within easy driving distance who doesn't put up the cash for even the cheapest of seats. There is no better live sports action than hockey and that is a fact. I will take great hockey seats over the best seats in any other sport.

Razor Catch Prey said...

To paraphrase a t-shirt by brother once owned, "I would rather have watched a hockey game that we lost, than watched a basketball game that we won."

MP, don't disparage Shooter like that. Sergio got his ass handed to him by the youngest member of the US team today, and all red blooded Americans loved every second of it. Besides, we all know Shooter was mezmerized by Phil Mickelson's man boobs. Their jiggling is hypnotic.