Monday, September 28, 2009

Pre-Season Postmortem

First, just a few observations on last night's game.

Pavelec could have been better, but it's ridiculous to blame the loss on him alone. Almost everyone played terribly last night. The Kovalchuk-Antropov-Little line was invisible, Kovy himself couldn't hold onto the puck, and every shot went hella wide for some reason or another.

Not everyone played terribly though. Anssi Salmela and Rich Peverley both had a very good game, I think. I'm sure there were others, but those two gents were the ones I noticed.

I really don't know about this Boris Valabik. His greatest asset, people keep telling me, is his size. Observable reality tells us he rarely uses this size in a constructive, non-horrendous-penalty-taking manner. It's obvious he can't clear the puck or make good passes (though we're also told he secretly has a hellacious slapshot, which we never see). I'm not trying to be cruel to the big fella (why would I do that? Why, if I ever approached Boris Valabik personally and said "What ho, Boris Valabik, why do you suck so much and what is it like, sucking so much?" he'd probably give me a thorough head-bending, and he'd be right to do it) but REALLY WHY IS HE HERE?

***
And now, an analysis of the pre-season in general, and what it taught us.

Well, um, ah...

I'm not sure what signals we're supposed to be receiving from this pre-season. Are you?

I will say that I'd feel more comfortable with Legace in goal on opening night. Thoughts?

6 comments:

Razor Catch Prey said...

The purpose of preseason isn't to give a preview of what the regular season will look like; it's to try-out the younger folks in games that have no consequences and let the guys who will be on the opening night roster get some chemistry going before hitting the starting gate.

Given, last night was mostly the squad that will be starting on Saturday and they played horrendously. However, in front of a larger crowd, in a game that will count in the big tally in April, I think more heads will be in the game and you'll see a different product on the ice.

Hopefully you will NOT see Boris Valabik on that ice.

FrenchCatalogues said...

I want to sign Pops, Afin, and Dan Fritsche. I thought he has played well, good at PK as well.

Mortimer Peacock said...

Yeah, Fritsche would be a passable PK guy. I hope we sign Popovic. SURELY we will?

FrenchCatalogues said...

On the boards some people think Boris should stay and that Salmela and Pops weren't impressive. PSH!!! Get tha fuck outta here!

Mortimer Peacock said...

Some people think Boris is the second coming of Zdeno Chara. Or, more insanely, Chris Pronger even. Or at the very least Braydon Coburn.

Rot in the ol' mind.

Mortimer Peacock said...

Looks like Fritsche has just been released, according to Kevin Allen's Twitter.