Monday, March 8, 2010

Dire Hockey, Dire Navel-Gazing

I'm not sure that the Oscars were an adequate cure for watching a Thrashers game in which the entire team seemed to be playing in a codeine haze. Though, Carrie Mulligan...and Julianne Moore and Kate Winslet and even triumphant Kathryn Bigelow...

And Kristen Stewart from the Twilight, what's with her? Something about her bad posture and sulky "Yeah I'm in shitty movies, but I really hate it, but then again the money is good" vibe positively batter-rams my heart.

ANYWAY. So, the Thrashers, what's their problem, henngh?

I suppose we'll never know, but it's probably reasonable to think that nothing is going to get better until young Evander Kane returns. Sez Chris Vivlamore:

We are awaiting official word on Evander Kane’s injury. I should know something today, but I would be surprised if it was not a broken foot. He left the arena after last night’s game with a large walking boot (similar to the one Ilya Kovalchuk had earlier this season) and using crutches.

I’m no doctor, but I would imagine the location and the severity of the injury will determine how much time Kane misses.


And I'm no hockey team, but I would think that it can't be that hard to score at least one goal against the 09-10 Carolina Hurricanes. Then again, the Canes have been playing much better lately. But then agai---oh for fuck's sake who cares? I can't even muster the enthusiasm for an impassioned rant against poor play.

The worst thing about following the Thrashers, in my admittedly eccentric and particular experience, is that at times I feel like I'm taking on some of their qualities. The Thrashers play like they're bored and apathetic = I become bored and apathetic. It's a shameful way to be, really, and I admire the passion of fans who are genuinely outraged by yesterday's dismaying effort, but...I suppose I've been emotionally wrapped up in this team too many times in the past to really get too worked up about their current bloopers and pratfalls.

In other words, I want to believe like I once did---which means feeling bummed when they lose, happy when they win, ecstatic if they get to the playoffs---but I'm finding that takes more effort than scoring on Manny Legace.

But I'll probably change my mind in two days, so whatever. Hey, remember when Legace was a Thrasher?

1 comment:

GoPuckYourself said...

If Kane's done for the year, so are we as a team. The replacements would be Slava, Todd White, or Joey Crabb. Joey Crabb may be lighting the AHL on fire, but I don't see him filling Evander's skates.

All that optimism after the Islander game...and not even a week later, look where we're at.

FWIW, I wanted District 9 to win Best Picture. That movie was unfuckingbelievably good in the way our effort against Carolina was unfuckingbelievably bad.