Thursday, June 19, 2008

O Curt Fraser, Where Art Thou?

This time tomorrow we should know who the Thrashers have taken with the #3 pick. I really feel this draft is going to be a great day for the franchise. We have been crawling since '99 and now maybe we will be able to walk (not run, walk). With all of my optimism (the glass is always half full after all), I do have one rather large problem...

This time tomorrow we still might not know who is going to coach our newest draft picks.

No Coach?!?

Are you kidding me? I have been one of the few Waddell supporters over the years, but this is borderline ridiculous. Let me first state that I'm well aware that I am looking at this from the outside in, with no real knowledge of what is going on (by the way, when are they going to hire me to run the show?). Why don't we have a coach? October was a long time ago. I understand why Waddell coached the whole season. We turned things around after he took over. Beast then turned down the job. Yada yada, yada yada. In my opinion Beast should not even be considered for the job if he already turned it down at one point.

There is NO excuse to not have a coach in place by now. The draft is the most important day in the offseason, and I firmly believe you need your entire team in place for that day. This leads me to a question that scares me...

Why don't we have a coach?

Waddell said he wanted to wait to see who might be available. Well, that day has come and gone... With everyone filling their various needs except us. Is it a real possibility that our franchise is in such bad shape that no one wants to coach us? I find that hard to believe, but I'm having a harder and harder time finding another reason why we don't have a head coach. Do respectable coaches all laugh at us and the gigantic pile of elephant dung that is the Atlanta Spirit? Does Joel Quenneville want to take a year off? Why haven't I even heard a whisper of his name?

It is very obvious that John Anderson wants the job. Why don't we just give it to him? It appears we should be counting our blessings that at least SOMEONE wants to be here. So what is the hold up? This entire process has left me a tad bit embarrassed for our beloved boys in blue.

Perhaps it will end soon. As Monty Python used to say... "Get on with it!!!!!"

For The Blueland Chronicle, I'm Big Shooter.

No comments: