Monday, April 28, 2008

A Toast To Olie


I know this is a Thrashers blog, but all of us here at The Chronicle love hockey and the NHL. So we will go off on a tangent every once and a while. Guess what? I have something to get off my chest.

Olaf Kolzig. One of my all time favorites. The reason that hockey is better than every other sport out there is because of the type of person that plays, or enjoys the game. For the most part, hockey people are down to earth, good individuals, that don't change. No matter how many millions they make.

Olaf Kolzig is one of the NHL's good guys. He has been the heart and soul of the Caps organ-I-zation long before some Ovechkin guy came along. Olie has always been great with the kids, and lends a hand to those who are less fortunate at every chance he gets. He also has the kind of sense of humor that every locker room needs, and is a great leader. He had many chances to leave the Caps, but never did. Because he is loyal. I, myself am loyal. To a fault most times. And that is why I am writing this post.

It pained me to see him sitting on the bench during the playoffs. Getting Huet for a second rounder was a good move. But if you ask me, Huet was very average in the playoffs. Why they didn't play Olie when Huet struggled is beyond me. Olie isn't what he used to be, but he is still a solid goalie. He should have been given the chance to lead the Caps into the 2nd round. But alas, he wasn't. And now I am watching the Flyers play the Habs.

After game 7 Olie took his name plate off his locker and left without speaking. He is a free agent and most likely won't be back with the Caps. He could move on, or as I suspect, retire. I mentioned before that he is loyal. I would think it would be the Caps or nothing for our friend Olie.

If you are reading this Olie, and I know you are, please know that all of us here at The Chronicle have a tremendous amount of respect for you. So, let's all raise a glass to Olie for being such a grand part of our game. This world needs far more Olaf Kolzigs. You deserved better Olie. This long time Caps fan thanks you for all the years.



For The Blueland Chronicle, I'm Big Shooter.

No comments: