Friday, February 27, 2009

Russia Has Declared War on Sidney Crosby

Via Puck Daddy, some thoughts the Czar shared in an interview with Sovetsky Sport:

Not long ago Washington played Pittsburgh. And Alex Ovechkin showed a sign to Crosby that might have meant less talk. Did he learn it from you? I remember that when [during one game] Crosby was given a penalty and you scored a goal, you pointed at him with your glove, and that gesture became famous in Atlanta.
KOVALCHUK: "These are emotions. Ovechkin did everything right. [You] have to play hockey. Show on the ice what you are capable of. And the weak talk a lot. Ovechkin proved everything - scored a goal and Washington won. He had a full right to his gesture."


Crosby said that Ovechkin is a dirty player...
KOVALCHUK: "Then no one at all should play hockey! The rules in the NHL after the lockout changed considerably. Let Crosby see how [players] played in the league before. Ovechkin's style is emotional, clean hockey. That's why he is the best player in the NHL right now."

But the league in [its] promotions puts emphasis on Crosby.
KOVALCHUK: "He is local. Here a [local] player is needed to become the face of the NHL. A Russian cannot be the face of a North American league! But Ovechkin, in all characteristics, is way stronger than Crosby. I am not 'rediscovering America' -- a lot of people have mentioned so. Crosby is a great player. But he has a long way to go to Ovechkin. If I were to pick players for my fantasy team, I would definitely pick Alex. We are friends. We have similar characters, a lot of common interests. I like Ovechkin not only as a hockey player. He is closer to me in spirit."


Oh, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk and Semin. Snipers with the puck, snipers with their words.


UPDATE: The Crosby Cultists respond in the Puck Daddy comments section:

Exhibit A
Good players get it done when it counts the most.
Crosby has 32 points in 25 playoff games.
Kovalchuck has 2 in 4 playoff games.
Way to get [profane] done Kovy.
Know what else is funny? Kovalchuck has had 87 points in 2 seasons and is on course right now for 87 points this season, again. I think someone has some Crosby jealousy...


What an intelligent observation. Moving on...

Exhibit B
I love sid hes my fav player and so is malkin and i hate ovechkin and people say hes a crybaby 4 talkin to the refs HES THE CAPTION what do u exspect

That speaks for itself, I think.

Exhibit C
I think this was another case of mistranslation...
Dmitry: "So, that ugly Canadian bastard said your boyfriend is a dirty player. Do you agree?"
Kovalchuk: "I love Ovie. He is passionate and emotional. We will make babies soon. He is better than cry-baby boy."
Dmitry: "But Crosby is the poster child! You see his misty-eyed image everywhere."
Kovalchuk: "OVIE IS BETTER!! HE IS CLOSE TO MY SPIRIT AND IN MY FANTASIES!!"


Get it? Because all Russians are fags, eh? I honestly think this comment offers a glimpse of the ugly impulse behind a lot of the Crosby-mania in certain quarters. I detect some Canadian anxiety and resentment here, a fear that they're losing control of "their" sport, not at all unlike Americans who have apocalyptic fears about waves of Mexican immigrants and the exotic President.

Really, I don't want to pile on Crosby. He's a great player and seems like a nice enough kid. I just think it's time people admitted a large part of his "Face of the NHL" status has more to do with Canadian nationalism/xenophobia than anything else.

Yeah I said it.

7 comments:

Big Shooter said...

You beat me to it!

Big Shooter said...

Germany has declared war on the Jones boys.

Mortimer Peacock said...

Exactly. So glad you got the reference.

Big Shooter said...

I disagree, I think we should pile it on Crosby.

Gotta go, the title makes me want to watch Indiana Jones yet again.

Anonymous said...

Sarah Palin is on her way to the Pitts to teach crosby how to defeat those pesky ruskies with moose jerky and tax cuts and those ever intimidating truck nuts.

Anonymous said...

Sarah Palin used to see Ovechkin play from her house.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I don't care much for Crosby, either; not just because he's a whiny-ass crybaby punk, but beacause the NHL decided to put all their marketing eggs in his basket, at the expense of other players...

On the other hand, I find that European players are equally as damaging to NHL marketing, because of the accent/language barrier.