Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Idea of Trading Down

As we all know, the Thrashers currently have the fourth pick overall. Evander Kane is looking to be the guy to get with this pick, as he had a very impressive draft combine. He seems very strong despite weighing in a little less-than-NHL-ready. I was never a person that thought Kane would be NHL-ready immediately so I didn't worry about that; I saw the long-term with the kid. Either way he seems impressive, and I wouldn't be at all upset if we got him.

Now, there is word that the Thrashers might trade down in the draft to get another pick in exchange for something. I'll be the first to admit I don't know how one makes a good judge of what you get for the fourth overall because in the end it's all potential, and I don't know how you measure that in cases like this. All that being said, if we do somehow move down in the draft there is one player that I would really hope we would get.....

This player would be Jordan Schroeder. For those who watched the World Juniors, we saw what kind of talent the kid has. There has been much talk, though, about how big he is. He is right under 5-foot-8, but there is something special about him. In this year's draft combine he seems to have really impressed people: a strong and thick kid, according to the Hockey News he weighs in at 200 lbs. He was excellent at the bench press, as was Evander Kane. He is known for his hockey sense and ability to play up against players much bigger than himself.

For a more in depth look at him I would go here

I don't know what DW will do on draft day. Shooter and I have talked about the possibility of DW trading down. It'll be interesting to see for sure. I definitely don't know where Schoeder will rank in the Draft. For all we know this combine could have really pushed him upwards in the draft, but you never know. All I know is that it'd be pretty cool to get this kid if we don't stick with Kane.

Either way, this might be what the conversation between DW and another GM might sound if the trade down sounds bad.

2 comments:

Big Shooter said...

I didn't mean necessarily trading down, Frenchy. Just trading the pick outright for help now.

Razor Catch Prey said...

I've been a big fan of Schroeder since the WJC and would be very excited to get him. It sounds like he and Kane were neck and neck in the combine, but that's with Schroeder being much thicker. From everything I've been able to gather, Kane has more growing room than Schroeder does.

That being said, if we could trade down and bring in someone to help us now and still bring in Schroeder, I'd call that a win.