Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hockey Themes

TSN is hyping the re-vamped version of their traditional "hockey night" theme song that is set to debut this week. Apparently this is the greatest thing to happen to Canadians since Mike Weir won the Masters.

I'm sure that the song brings up lots of great hockey memories for Canadian hockey fans, and I know that we're all partial to what we grew up with. That being said, I have to say that this (or the original) woefully pales in comparison to the epic NHL on ESPN theme music that followed such historic game intros as Gary Thorne chronicling the 95-96 Red Wings' President's Cup winning season in which they (cue footage of Patrick Roy yelling at the Montreal GM after being left in for 10 goals) "ran a hall of fame goaltender out of Montreal..." (cut to Roy in net for the Avs, making Statue of Liberty save after save against the Wings in the playoffs) "but he landed on the wrong team."

Outside of the hockey world, I have always been a big fan of the NFL on Fox theme music. If you listen closely, you can tell it's actually a Christmas song. They used it for the broadcast of football games during the holidays and it was so popular they adopted it year round.

Also, being the huge fans of Big and Rich that Shooter and I are, I'd be amiss not to mention the very appropriate use of "Comin' to Your City" as the theme song of College Gameday.

In the spot of worst theme song ever, I just found this Team Canada song by Canadian born country star (ok, so he had 2 hits in the mid-90's) Paul Brandt.

4 comments:

Big Shooter said...

ESPN song better than HNIC song? You are fucking crazy.

Tiffany said...

You forgot Monday Night Football.

And idk why but I totally love the NHL on Fox, even though it's mildly irritating. I even had it as a ringtone for a while!

Also the "Hockey Tonight" song they used a lot on HNIC.

Razor Catch Prey said...

Which MNF? I have always loved the Hank Jr opening, of course. It absolutely blew my mind when I met someone who didn't know who he was and couldn't even fathom why I would think they should.

Tiffany said...

wait, there's another one? no. hank. c'mon now.