Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Official Editorial Position on What the Fuck to Do

Apologies to Maali, and I do love the guy, and I think he's going to be a tremendous goalie in the coming years, and it sucks that we've gotten to the point where this has to happen, but:

Possibility #1: Trade Kari Lehtonen and Angelo Esposito, and perhaps a draft pick as well, to Colorado in exchange for Paul Stastny. Very young and very talented center, easily the Czar's top field commander. (A tip of the hat to Razor Catch Prey here, for Stastny was his idea).

Possibility #2: Trade Kari Lehtonen and Angelo Esposito, and perhaps a draft pick as well, to Los Angeles in exchange for Dustin Brown. A young, talented right winger itching to prove himself. We could lock him up for several years. (A tip of the hat to Monsieur Catalogues here, for Brown was his idea). 

Possibility #3: Trade Kari Lehtonen and Angelo Esposito, and perhaps a draft pick as well, to Los Angeles in exchange for Patrick O'Sullivan. Like Stastny, a young and talented center, and like his teammate Dustin Brown, itching to prove himself. A fine deputy for the Czar.

Any of these guys would be excellent line-mates for the Czar. I love Kari, and like I said I think he could well become the next Luongo or Nabokov or Kipprusoff...but this team has to make a serious trade. And I like both the Kings and the Av's, and I think Kari would flourish as the net-minder for either. I'd continue to follow his career and cheer for him wherever he ended up, but my personal prejudice is that he'd look amazing in those royal Kings colors. Thoughts?

9 comments:

Mortimer Peacock said...

P.S. Does anyone think that Kari, Esposito, and a draft pick would be enough for O'Sullivan AND Brown?

Big Shooter said...

Other than Stastny, I think giving up both Kari and Espo is too much.

Big Shooter said...

The Kings have been bad for long enough. I don't think they would want to part with both quality young players on the hopes of draft picks.

Why do you want the pick when you already have the young player. Now they still may need a goalie...

Mortimer Peacock said...

It looks like Kari won't be traded anyway. I wonder who we can get from these wildly over-spending teams?

Razor Catch Prey said...

Yes, the Kings have been in desperate need of a goalie for a long time.

Amazing that the Czechmanek deal didn't work out for them...

Or Milan Hnlicka...

But they do get points for bringing Fukafuji into the league.

The Falconer said...

LA Kings do have Steve Bernier in their system. The Kings are loaded with young talent and I'd love to get my hands on some it, but realistically our most likely trading partners are teams up against the cap like CHI, PHI, ANA. Also I still think Detroit is a possible destination if Kari is traded. Wings seem to have soured on Jimmy Howard and Osgood is inching towards 40.

Big Shooter said...

I agree with you Falconer. I think Kari could end up with the Wings.

I still say Col is a possible destination for him. They really got left without a chair when the music stopped as far as goaltending goes.

Chicago is a possible trade partner, but they wouldn't want a goalie as they seem set in that department (unless they move the Bulin Wall). I see us maybe getting a forward from them for a pick or prospect in a salary dump.

The Falconer said...

big shooter: how about this. We offer to take Khabibulin's fat contract (1 year left) off of Chicago in exchange for them also giving us a high pick. That gives us a one year goalie until next season when Pavelec is the starter. That frees the Thrashers to deal Lehtonen to Detroit for Filppula or some D prospectcs. Crazy perhaps, but it would be a way to turn our cap room into something useful and grow our collection of young talent.

Big Shooter said...

Falconer: Not bad. Probably difficult to pull that off, but you never know. The only way I would trade Kari is if we get an offer that brings maximum value. Other than that I think we need to keep him.