Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Kari Talk


Many congratulations to Mrs. Lehtonen over at Fire Wagon Hockey, as her dream Finn has agreed to terms with the Thrashers. I truly hope you can now enjoy your summer!

According to all reports, the deal is for 1 year at $3 million. 1 year? Let the rumors begin!! Oh wait, they already have here at The Chronicle. I'm not sure why only 1 year. Sometimes that decision is made by the player, sometimes the club. I can come up with two possible reasons. One is Kari thinks he is on the verge of a break out year, and would like to cash in come next year (let's hope this comes true). The other reason, gulp, is it sets up a trade possibility of some sort down the line.

Moose has the longest contract at the goal position. Kari only 1 year, Pav in the minors (maybe). Coach Anderson correcting me VERY quickly when I said we are set in goal, "Nothing is set in stone". Can they give us any more reason to speculate?!?!?! I have no idea what is going on, but it seems as though something is cooking with someone. Got that? Glad I could clear it up.

As always, no one sums it up better than our ole pal Custance (boy I miss him). His new blog is here. Perhaps Morty will update the right side here to include not only his columns, but also his blog? If so, much obliged... much obliged. If you are too lazy to click on the link here, is what he says:

"Just got word, and a confirmation from Thrashers GM Don Waddell, that the Thrashers signed goalie Kari Lehtonen to a new deal. The deal is a one-year contract worth $3 million. It's an interesting number because that means backup Johan Hedberg is on the books longer than the franchise goalie. You can't help but wonder if the short deal sets up a goalie battle down the road with top prospect Ondrej Pavelec. It also means Lehtonen has a reasonable contract if the team decides Pavelec is ready and wants to trade from a position of depth. Lehtonen has all the skills in the world, but injuries and inconsistencies have prevented him from being an elite goalie."

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the one year deal.

For The Blueland Chronicle, I'm Big Shooter.

5 comments:

Mortimer Peacock said...

Ain't'int that something?

I agree 100%. We're clearly setting up some kind of goalie battle between Kari and Pavelec. As Great Tiger says, "You cannot have two starting goalies." I think Kari is giving himself a year to really impress either us or someone else (both, if he has the breakout season he deserves) and see what happens from there...for now I'll just relax and be happy that my favorite Finnish player is still with the Thrashers.

Mortimer Peacock said...

Did I mention that I think this is a very reasonable deal?

Big Shooter said...

I predict Kari at $3 mil turns out to be a steal.

Lisa Lewis said...

Puts what coach said Saturday in a whole new perspective....LOL I will speculate with you and say something bubbling in the pot.

Big Shooter said...

THE BLOGGERS WERE ON THIS STORY FIRST!!!!!