Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of July Observations


I've had many different memorable 4th of July's. This one is no exception. I've seen the most amazing fireworks show in the world. Sitting on the bank of the Potomac, Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument in sight, watching the explosions in the sky signifying how great our country is. I've gotten up real early in the morning to go watch the Peachtree Road Race. Anyone who has witnessed that can tell you the real pleasure in that particular event is the wheelchair race they have just before the runners. I've spent multiple 4th's jamming out with one of my idols, the one the only, Jimmy Buffett. I've seen the Lenox Square fireworks show from a condo about 20 floors or so up that had the absolute perfect view.

The 2008 4th I have spent the day at my house. My apologies to Razor Catch Prey (our new contributor here at The Chronicle) and the rest of the gang for not making it back down to the big city tonight. Sometimes living a ways from Atlanta has its draw backs, but tonight was not one of them. I just got finished watching a rather large fireworks show from my own back porch. You see, there is a 400 acre winery that borders my property, and they tend to put on a show.

As I was watching the show tonight, I began to think about our wonderful country. Sitting on your own back porch, in the woods, watching fireworks, with nothing but the stars above, an ice cold Red Stripe, a Cuban cigar, and your black Labrador by your side will do that to you. Thank God for the men and women that give us our freedom. I have a quick personal story here if you don't mind. A friend of mine was set to ship out for Afghanistan tomorrow morning at 10:00. She has already done a tour in Iraq, and was not looking forward to this mission. Prepared and more than willing, just not looking forward to it. Two days ago the Army discovered she had a strange optical problem, and decided not to send her over. Obviously all her family and friends are relieved.

While I was sitting there tonight watching the fireworks and thinking about our country, and my friend, my thoughts immediately turned to whoever is going to take her spot and go over there. Just because my friend is not going does not mean her spot is eliminated. It is now occupied by someone who was not expecting to go over there. The fireworks show ended, but I still had a beer and a cigar to finish so I stayed out a little longer. Some other folks were having their own fireworks show in the distance. I couldn't see it, but could clearly hear it. I thought to myself it must sound somewhat similar to what our brave soldiers might be hearing overseas. Explosions in the distance, unfortunately what they are hearing is not fireworks.

So let me take this opportunity to thank everyone who has served, or is currently serving our country. We get to post here at The Chronicle about all things hockey, while they are fighting for their (and our) lives. I have never served in the military, quite frankly, because I am a big wimp. Wimp is not a word that describes my friend, or the person that will take her spot, or any of our soldiers.

It sounds cliche, but as you spend time with family and friends this weekend cooking out on the grill or whatever it is you may be doing, don't ever forget those that are making it possible for all of us to have such a good time. And when you go to bed tonight, don't forget to say a prayer for those that have paid the ultimate sacrifice. Pray for their families and friends. And thank God that we live in the greatest country in the world.


For The Red White and Blueland Chronicle, I'm Big Shooter.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big Shooter...do you live next to the Chateu Elan?

Big Shooter said...

No, I live in a place a little less civilized than that! :)

Mortimer Peacock said...

Speaking of your neck of the woods, the Californian equivalent to Big Shooterland is going up in flames.

This sucks for several reasons; 1) it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, and 2)it might spread to the Sharktank, and 3) this calls our future Californian hockey trip into question.

Big Shooter said...

The housing market has put our Californian hockey trip into question long before the fires did!!!

Mortimer Peacock said...

Perhaps. The Governator is dealing with it heroically either way.