Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Right Winger Plot Thickens

No, Jesse Helms hasn't come back to life and declared himself Emperor of North America.

Instead, the Boston Bruins have put Glen Murray on waivers.

No, I'm not suggesting we go after the man. He's creaking into an injury-ridden, low-scoring decline, and besides, I've convinced myself we're going to trade Todd White and some other players for Jonathan Cheechoo.

However, if somehow my Cheechoo/Marleau hopes are not realized, and if Mike Knuble stays in Philadelphia, and if Antoine Vermette and Maxim Afinogenov can't stand the sight of powder blue, I wouldn't be averse to signing him to a one-year contract. He is old, he is declining, but I think he could put up 20 goals and plenty of assists if 1) he manages to avoid injury, and 2) he plays on the same line as Slava Kozlov and Bryan Little. Even if Murray doesn't score at all, he might be a useful guide to Little; playing alongside two veterans with plenty of experience (is there any other kind?) might ground him and help him develop his game.

So if my Kovalchuk-Christensen-Cheechoo/Kozlov-Little-Williams scheme doesn't come to pass (and really, why wouldn't it?), I wouldn't weep if our lines were Kovalchuk-Christensen-Williams/Kozlov-Little-Murray.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Razor Catch Prey said...

I tried to post on this earlier and hit a technical error. My thoughts are that Murray would have been a great addition a couple of years ago, but after putting up only 17 goals last year in 60+ games, it's clear he doesn't have enough left in the tank to help us.