Thursday, December 3, 2009

GAME DAY: New York Islanders

In lieu of posting a single comical photo of people from Long Island, I'll just direct you to this page, which features a wealth of comical photos of people from Long Island. It is a true treasure trove.

Now then...

So, yeah, the Islanders! I'm glad to see they've laid the foundations for finally becoming a quality team again (Tavares, Okposo, Moulson), but I'd be a damn liar if I said I didn't want them to lose tonight.

Hey, ever notice that Andy Sutton ALWAYS scores on us when we play the Isles?

Well, worry no more. The man is injured at the moment, so hooray!

It hardly needs to be said that this game gives the Thrashers a great opportunity to extend their winning streak to 5 games. Winning this one would give us 33 points, which would make things very interesting not only in the Eastern Conference (where they're already mighty interesting) but in our Southeast Division as well. You know what I mean; I shall say no more.

******
For this game day's "In Praise of..." segment, I'd like to give a shout-out to the yellow skate laces worn by Ilya Kovalchuk and Slava Kozlov. They's purdy cool. Long may they flourish.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

my eyes! MY EYES! I am going to scoop them out with a spoon after those photos.

go thrashers.

krisabelle said...

Now all that Kovy/Kozlov are missing is 2 gleaming sets of Bow Biters to accompany their sweet, sunshiney laces! Maybe they'd also offer added puck-to-the-skate pain protection? Check it before you wreck it.

swegs said...

FUCK OUR FUCKING CURSED THIRD JERSEYS!!!! 5 of our 8 loses have come with them on.....

j_barty_party said...

swegs - you can always drown your sorrows with some delicious Molson! Oh wait, eff that guy too!

Jay said...

Fuck Molson. I've always liked Labatt better.

Is it just me, or is Kovalchuk the laziest defender ever? He almost never hustles on D, rarely checks anyone unless he's pissed off, and is usually out of position to help on defense because he is hanging around the blueline looking for a breakaway. Someone with his speed and skill should be great on the PK, but he is never used in that role because he is a defensive liability. That first goal that Moulson scored tonight was totally on Kovy in my opinion.

Jay said...

By the way, I have a suggestion for the Antropov-Kovalchuk-Afinogenov line. The "kOVy Splits" line. An homage to the Captain, beer, and all around goodness.

j_barty_party said...

Kovy's lazy ass cost us on the 3rd goal as well. He was hovering once again and circled up the ice expecting Antropov to close the gap, but he had to watch someone streaking back to the middle I think. But the point stands, and I make mention of this on my blog, that Kovy needs to work harder for this team to be as successful as it has the potential to be. If he wants top dollar, he should be more sound on both ends of the ice. Perhaps the foot injury is making him shy when it comes to defending the point, but if he can't put forth the effort a leader should put forth, then perhaps we'd be better off trading him for some value.

Mortimer Peacock said...

I'm just now checking in to this comment thread and I have to say I'm pleased that Swegs mentioned the 3rd jersey thing. It is time for them to die.

Jay said...

I'm thinking playing Washington twice, Columbus when they were hot, and the Bruins had more to do with the bad Thursday record than the jerseys. The Islanders game was the first one that was really disappointing in that they are a definite inferior team to Atlanta.