Thursday, October 22, 2009
Mysteries of Life
1) How can two evenly-matched teams play against one another reasonably well, with exactly equivalent shots on goal, and one of them lose in an especially humiliating fashion because of their goalie?
2) How can the aforementioned team's goalie put on such an astonishing performance in one game and be soul-incineratingly bad in the next game?
1) A year ago, this game would have sent me spiraling into the deepest despair. Tonight, I'm not depressed. I'm only pissed off. Because we could have won that game, easily. Most people on the Atlanta Thrashers professional hockey team played well tonight. Our goaltender didn't. It doesn't matter how good you are if your goaltender turns in a sucky performance.
2) I'm not saying Pavelec is a bad goaltender. He's obviously not. All I'm saying is that it would be prudent, at the moment, to consider making a certain Swedish quadruped our #1 goaltender. But then again, what do I know?
3) Sanctimony along the lines of either "ZOMG everyone sucks" or "NEVER CRITICIZE OUR TEAM OR ANY INDIVIDUAL PLAYERS EVER EVER EVER" is mindless as hell. In both cases.
4) Congratulations on the shutout, Moose.
There are plenty of reasons for hope here. Plenty.
Did you ever, EVER, expect to see the likes of this?
^---click the damn thing.