Wednesday, April 15, 2009

But Everybody Is Doing It!

First I'd like to note that some of us here at the Chronicle do in fact support not only the participants in today's Tea Parties, but also the principles of democracy and capitalism in general.

Now, back to hockey, the reason for which some people visit our humble blog:

I’ve heard that playoff predictions are like ass holes. But that’s not true, because playoff predictions don’t cheer for the Red Wings.

During the month of March, when people should be watching the ever-exciting push to see who will make the NHL playoffs, I’m always accosted by people asking me to make “brackets.” Once I determined that they were not hoping that I would take up carpentry, I was confused that they would expect me to make playoff predictions before the matchups were even close to finalized. Usually these conversations will end with me talking to myself about where the Thrashers will likely end up in next year’s standings while the other party wanders off mumbling something about basket weaving or some such.

Now that it’s actually that time of year, I’ll present my playoff bracket for you here.

Western Conference Quarters:

San Jose over Anaheim in 6 – Tough as it will be, Nabokov gives the Sharks the edge in net while the Anaheim D battles the San Jose O.

Detroit over Columbus in 5 – I’d love to see an upset, but the Jackets can’t withstand this kind of firepower. Mason and Nash combine to steal one game.

St. Louis over Vancouver in 7 – Keith Tkachuk > Mats Sundin + Roberto Luongo

Calgary over Chicago in 6 – Iggy and Kipper will take this one from the inexperienced but talented Hawks.

Eastern Conference Quarters:

Boston over Montreal in 5 – Momentum and Timmy Thomas.

Caps over Rangers in 6 – If not for Lundqvist, this is a sweep.

Canes over Devils in 4 – Pure momentum here. The storm surge is too much for the Jersey Shore to take.

Flyers over Pens in 7 – Carter + Richards + Biron > Crosby + Malkin + Fleury, but just barely.

Western Semis:

San Jose over St. Louis in 5 – The Blues are just outclassed here.

Detroit over Calgary in 6 – Ditto.

Eastern Semis:

Boston over Carolina in 7 – Best series of the playoffs here. A classic goalie duel between Timmy Thomas and Cam Ward.

Flyers over Caps in 6 – A close call, but Biron is so much better than Theodore, the Flyers should be able to shut down OV and crew again this year.

Western Finals:

Sharks over Wings in 7 – Nabby >>>>>Osgood

Eastern Finals:

Boston over Philly in 7 – Thomas steals it from a more talented Flyers team.

Stanley Cup Final:

San Jose over Boston in 6 – Nabby>Timmy, Joe Thorton>Marc Savard, Jeremy Roenick>Mark Recchi. In fact, Jeremy Roenick>just about anybody.

Sorry it’s not in a nice neat bracket, but this is more reliable in the blog format. What are your predictions, readers?

11 comments:

aaron said...

I’ve heard that playoff predictions are like ass holes. But that’s not true, because playoff predictions don’t cheer for the Red Wings.Heyoh!

My, you guys have been busy today. I seem to have discovered that employers react favorably to actual productivity.

Still game for a meetup? Tuesday, Pens/Flyers? Suggestions welcome.

Mortimer Peacock said...

Those are actually startingly close to my own full-playoffs predictions.

Is democracy that thing people use to elect Presidents and Congressfolk?

Mortimer Peacock said...

Those are actually startingly close to my own full-playoffs predictions.

Is democracy that thing people use to elect Presidents and Congressfolk?

the jointhead said...

Democracy actually turns into tyranny when it elects a democrat president, or so it seems. If only people would understand that our government would fuction better with no tax income. I do love my Red Wings, but I have to say Our defense has been poor and goaltending awful. I see Boston winning it all.

Razor Catch Prey said...

Morty, that's quite the stutter you've developed in the last day or so.

The good thing about only predicting one sweep is that only one of my predictions was proven entirely wrong on the first night of the playoffs. Every team I predicted to win the series lost the opening game last night. According to the Caps broadcast team, 75% of teams dropping game 1 lose the series. That's probably a misleading statistic, because obviously 100% of teams who get swept dropped game 1. Some huge percentage of teams who lost in 5 lost game 1, and a slightly smaller percentage of teams who lost in 6 and 7 games dropped the opener.

However, if you look at the percentage of teams who won in 6 or 7 games who lost game 1, I bet it looks more rosy for the Canes, Caps, Flyers, and Blues.

Mortimer Peacock said...

Yo Aaron-

Next Tuesday is fine with me. What's a good place?

aaron said...

Wherever man-sports are celebrated and fine lager is poured.

I'm in Upper Gwinnettia, but familiar with most of our fair city. Halfway between here and Chronicle HQ?

Mortimer Peacock said...

Are there any sports bars left in Buckhead? I think there's a Taco Mac, right?

aaron said...

Taco Mac Metropolis
933 Peachtree Street NE

Buckhead-ish.

aaron said...

or Lindbergh on the the other side.

Mortimer Peacock said...

Aaron-

The one on Peachtree sounds fine. We'll send you an email to determine exact time and place, sometime in the near future.