Monday, January 12, 2009
We haven't done The News in a while, so here goes:
- On TSN, I read that the Tampa Bay Lightning--our divisional rival in the Tavares/Hedman Sweepstakes--are considering trading Vincent Lecavalier to the Montreal Canadiens for Christopher Higgins, Tomas Plekanec, draft picks, and a top prospect.
Being a Thrashers fan I don't have much enthusiasm for Lecavalier, but I have to admit I think it would awesome to see him playing in Montreal. It would be great for the sport to have one of the NHL's biggest stars (and best players) playing in his hometown, and there's a certain romantic quality about the idea of Lecavalier joining the ranks of Maurice Richard, Jean Béliveau, Guy Lafleur and other great French-Canadian hockey stars who've played in Montreal. I say do it. But then again I'm not a Lightning fan.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins are suffering. James Mirtle and Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy with diagnoses here and here, respectively. No doubt the absence of Sergei Gonchar is hurting them badly, especially on the power play. Your Chronicle says they could use a little Mathieu Schneider. If the price is right, of course.
- As I mentioned, our Thrash-blogging comrade the Falconer will be spinning stats and issuing oracles at SB Nation for the foreseeable future. I have to say I dig both the name of his new blog and the logo with the Atlanta skyline.
- The Pensblog appear to have up and moved as well. Update your blog-rolls accordingly.
- You've all seen the photos from the KHL's game in Red Square, haven't you? You haven't? Lookee:
- As far as our own Winter Classic goes, the Canadian Press is reporting that it received the highest ratings of ANY regular-season NHL game in 34 years. Like the cow that jumped over the moon, the NHL can do anything it sets its mind to. Think of the Chronicle as Kermit the Frog, standing by with trench-coat and microphone.
- Lots of photos from last night's Casino Night sexy party/Czar-crowning all over the place. Ben Wright has posted some fine ones here, as well as videos of the whole thing, including the coronation.
You know what? I take back what I said about bad haircuts and ill-fitting tuxedos. I just forgot that Mark Recchi is no longer on the team.
Ron Hainsey and Johan Hedberg = HANDSOME men.
Watch the video interview with Mathieu Schneider; I'm pretty sure he's just riding this out until he gets traded to the Penguins or the Canadiens. I've never seen a more relaxed (stoned?) hockey player. Not even Joe Thornton compares.
I kind of like his lady dealer sidekick.