Monday, December 15, 2008

Waddell Following The Wild.....Quoi?

Well, there is the obvious choice of Gaborik, which would not be the brightest idea considering he'd probably leave and go find his friend Marian Hossa where they can live out their days playing on the same team (what a treat that'd be for a team).

After Gaborik, you have Bouchard, Koivu, Miettenen, Nolan, Brunette, and even Belanger! Brunette and Belanger have obviously been in Atlanta before, so make of that with what you will. Brunette would be cool to have, but he is getting up there in years. I want young players. 

Which brings me to the greatest hopeful, Pierre-Marc Bouchard. He is a LW, so I don't know where you'd put him since we already have Slava and Kovy. He is the one player that is young and has a contract that is long we could take over. Probably won't happen though....

In terms of RW, one could get Antti Miettinen who is playing rather well this year. Yet, I am no GM, and if I wanted an offensive talent, I wouldn't go to Minnesota. For defensive talent, I would. So maybe DW is following the Wild not for the offense but for their Lemaire style defense. This would be an upgrade. It'd be nice to get someone from the penalty kill or a solid stay-at-home defensemen. I would enjoy this, and it'd be a step in the right direction.

If DW is truly looking for a trade, then go for someone to help us defend. We certainly need it. Defensemen like Nick Shultz and Marc-Andre Bergeron or real checking liners like Stephane Veilleux and James Shepard, or maybe snag Benoit Pouliot. These are the people the Thrashers would actually benefit from at the moment. We'll get our offense eventually, but we desperately need to work out our Goals Against.

Source

13 comments:

Big Shooter said...

Source?

FrenchCatalogues said...

Ah blow it out your ass, Shooter.

Big Shooter said...

Just curious if it was coming from a reliable source or from Hockey Buzz.

Big Shooter said...

And that one appears to be as reliable as you can get.

Hopefully something will happen by Friday.

FrenchCatalogues said...

Hockey buzz did say something, but Ben Wright said something to and I found the actual link. The thing is if Gaborik comes, he'd better sign with us for a while, if not screw em. I'd take Shepard and Pouliot because that's what we need: an agitator and a gritty power forward. They're also super young.

FrenchCatalogues said...

Hockey buzz did say something, but Ben Wright said something to and I found the actual link. The thing is if Gaborik comes, he'd better sign with us for a while, if not screw em. I'd take Shepard and Pouliot because that's what we need: an agitator and a gritty power forward. They're also super young.

FrenchCatalogues said...

Disregard those names I just dropped as to what we need. I propose for Carl Clutterbuck who is an agitator and young along with Shepard who is the power forwad. Pouliot would be nice. He seems like an Esposito type guy, talent but some mental issues with the game. All are young either way.

Big Shooter said...

Who knows if Gaborik is even being talked about. I doubt it.

If he is, the only way I see that happening is some sort of sign and trade to make sure he is here long term.

And if you are Marian Gaborik, why would you do that?

Anonymous said...

maybe he wants to ride dirty in the dirty south?

FrenchCatalogues said...

The thing is, if we did trade for him, what would we give? Esposito, Christensen, Armstrong, and a 1st rounder? I don't think they'll fall for that deal. I want to keep Esposito anyways. Again though, I want Sheppard and Clutterbuck. I want young players like how LA is doing it and Chicago did do it.

For me to think DW has regained any status that he had, he has to get those two Wild, Tavares or Hedman, and somehow get Evander Kane in the draft. That'll never happen though. I've kinda given up on the season if anyone hasn't guessed.

Tiffany said...

you know, maybe i'm all alone in this but if there's anyone on the wild that i'd want on my team (like, you know, if i was a real GM and making real moves) it would be brent burns and/or nicklas backstrom. and you know what? make it a package deal, and send over belanger too, and he and burnsie can work the pp w/.... well i haven't quite figured out who i'd cut from my hypothetical roster. but they can work with whoever's left.

Anonymous said...

Minnesota sees itself as a playoff contender. Hasn't offense been an issue with them? Kozlov, White, and Williams are guys we could trade to them. They could be making more of a lateral move in players than going for younger players and rebuilding. Get guys who can help them this year and next. I don't know much about Minnesota other than Gaborik, Miettenen, and Burns. Anyone else on that team, I'll have to trust the opinions here about them. Plus, with Gaborik injured, Minnesota might be willing to get anything useful for him as soon as possible. Atlanta shouldn't be looking for pieces for this year. This season is no longer about making the playoffs, it's about Tavares or Victor Hedman. If Gaborik doesn't play a lot this year, not a big deal if they are able to sign him. In the meantime, Atlanta sinks even more, gets a Top 2 pick, gets one of the guys just mentioned. Once he does play, A Kovy-Little-Gaborik line would be pretty cool.

Would this deal work:

Atlanta gets Gaborik, Burns, and 2008 1st round pick

Minnesota gets Kozlov, White, Exelby, Williams, Havelid, and 2008 3rd round pick.

Even if Gaborik doesn't sign, the Thrashers come away from this with Burns and a 1st round pick. Losing X and Havelid wouldn't hurt by getting Burns in return and Bogosain coming back soon. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

FrenchCatalogues said...

Morty just told me he wants Burns. I'm certainly not opposed to that. I'm really hesitant to giving up Havelid. I really think he is solid and could help teach the younger ones some stuff.

I can't argue too much with giving Minnesota all that. I do agree with building for next season. That's why I'm all about those two guys I mentioned. They're both about 20-years-old. Something seems to happen. Hopefully DW will redeem a bit of himself.