Monday, February 18, 2008

Jumbotron Nominees #1

This is the first post in a new series brought to you, reader, from the Blueland Chronicle. As I'm sure you, as a citizen of Blueland, know: At Philips Arena (and some other hockey venues, I've heard; though the ones in Canada I've seen are totally bereft) the Jumbotron Screen graces us with clips from all sorts of movies at various points in the game. The purpose of these clips and montages is to rouse the crowd into a bloodlusting fury, and I can attest it's quite exciting.

I love several of the clips and montages they play at Blueland, my personal favorites being the footage of Jean-Claude Van Damme dancing (played when we score a goal), the infamous "Unleash the Fury" montage, and the montage they play before an overtime that concludes with a scene from the magnificent Western Tombstone in which Kurt Russell-Wyatt Earp bellows, "Hell's comin' with me, ya hear? HELL'S COMIN' WITH ME!!!"

I get chills every time.

Some of the clips and montage are mediocre, though, and we here at the Blueland Chronicle would like to share a series of different movie clips with you readers, clips that we think would make a fine addition to the old stand-by's of Blueland. I posted Kenneth Branagh giving the "band of brothers" speech from Shakespeare's Henry V a few days ago; that's simply the most stirring speech of all time and it pumps me up more than any scene from Remember the Titans. I accept, though, that Blueland might not respond to the Bard in the same way I do...and yes, I'm a snob.

My more populist suggestion for this post is an old stand-by and a classic in its own way, of course. Imagine this before an overtime...take it away, Jules!



More suggestions/nominees are welcome.

No comments: