Monday, February 11, 2008

Finn in Ascent

Craig Custance at the AJC has a fine article on Young Mister Lehtonen. The central point seems to be that Kari is finally beginning to join the likes of Kovalchuk in delivering on his initial promise.

Money quote:

But with 24 games left, Lehtonen can completely bury his frustrating first half and as a restricted free agent following this season, he also can cement his status as the Thrashers franchise goalie.

"I want to stay here, that's my No. 1 thing," Lehtonen said. "I just have to play well and earn my spot here so that the owners and management believe I can help this team. That's my No. 1 goal."

If the Thrashers emerge from the pack and make the playoffs, it'll likely be because Lehtonen rises to his oft-discussed potential and talent level.

More than any player, Lehtonen can be the one to propel such a push.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

YAY KARI! And that last line... I KNOW THA'S RIGHT!

Not that I am biased or anything.

Mortimer Peacock said...

I agree with you, actually. A team will only go as far as the goalie takes it, and Kari seems to be hitting his stride. And if Kari hits his stride, the Thrashers hit their stride. He has the potential to be one of the best goalies in the entire NHL, and certainly the best in the Southeast.

Tiffany said...

You = preacher.
Me = choir.

:)