Sunday, June 1, 2008

Thank You Craig

By now most of you have heard, Craig Custance is leaving the AJC at the end of June to become the NHL national beat writer for the Sporting News. While this is a wonderful move for Craig and his family, it leaves us Thrasher fans feeling sad.

I've seen what the AJC coverage was before we had CC. Ehhwhwhhw... just had a full body shiver. I really don't want to go back to those days. In his latest blog, Craig said that if the rumors are true his replacement is fantastic. Lets all pray he is right.

***Edit: Got this from http://www.sportsjournalist.com/:

BEAT CHANGE IN NEWS & INFORMATION Mike Knobler, who has done a stellar job as the lead Georgia Tech football reporter, will take over the Thrashers beat immediately. With the team preparing to hire a new coach in the next two weeks and NHL free agency starting on July 1, we needed someone who could step right in. We are thrilled that Mike wants to take on this new challenge. — Ronnie Ramos, N&I senior editor for Sports & Features ***

When Craig took over some time ago, it was immediately obvious to me that he would be moving on to bigger and better things. It was the same feeling I had the first time I heard Billy Jaffe. I thought to myself, this guy is waaaaay to good to be doing color radio for the Thrashers (NOT A KNOCK AGAINST SHERIFF OR KAMAL). I knew he would move on to a TV job somewhere. A few years later he moves on to New York and VS.

Craig will excel in his new job, and the sky is the limit for him. He always preformed with class, hard work, and didn't blindly throw anyone under the bus just to grab a few headlines... like his cow-worker Jeff Dultz.

So here is to you Craig. We were lucky to have you. I suppose it will be nice to have a Thrashers guy working in the national media. All of us here at The Chronicle wish you nothing but the best.

For The Blueland Chronicle, I'm Big Shooter.

No comments: